Saturday, March 6, 2010

Decisions

     One of the first things people usually ask is why I chose to have gastric bypass over LAP-BAND®. In many cases for most people, it is a matter of quality of life. After reviewing several different procedures, each had their pros and cons. I will only be discussing two here even though the sleeve is making great strides in competing in this market. The LAP-BAND® and Roux-en-Y were the main two procedures my insurance would cover.
     With the LAP-BAND® a positive and a negative thing for me was the ability to continue to eat anything. It is not a choice for me because I would not want the ability resume my bad eating habits. The thought of having to get a fill with a needle every time I needed one was another downfall for me. Having a port and a piece of plastic in my body for the rest of my life was not my ideal for quality of life. Insurance also played a role because my insurance company will only pay for the surgery once. If LAP-BAND® does not succeed; I am not eligible for a revision. If LAP-BAND® had a better success rate it and possibility of losing all the weight I needed to lose; I may have changed my mind. However, LAP-BAND® is less invasive than gastric bypass and there is less chance of serious complications. Another benefit of LAP-BAND® is there is no dumping syndrome.
     Gastric Bypass otherwise known as the Roux-en-Y has a dramatically increased success rate over the LAP-BAND®. Even with the possibility of complications, gastric bypass has a better success rate because it is a restrictive procedure and a malabsorption process. For me, I wanted the promise of dumping if I ate something wrong. I feel that I need the idea of becoming seriously ill if I do not fuel my body with the correct types of foods. I will never eat the same way again. That was also appealing to me. I have many food hurdles to overcome and it is imperative that I make this drastic move to save my life.
     Maybe looking at my reasons for why I chose the Roux-en-Y can be the exact same reasons why another would choose LAP-BAND® if they needed to make that decision. I did not want to turn this blog into a research paper so a cut short many more statistics and information. Ultimately, my decision was based on what procedure would serve me best for the long term. I hope that I am right.

No comments:

Post a Comment